Public Policy Committee
At a glance:
- Provides targeted research, survey data and recommendations for economic development public policy issues.
- Develops recommendations related to incentives, taxes and other factors affecting economic development.
- Provides public policy information and educational opportunities for members.
- Advices the GEDA Board on public policy matters.
- Periodically updates GEDA “incentives manual”.
- Develops recommendations for GEDA's legislative policy agenda.
- Reviews legislative proposals and other policy ideas emerging from other GEDA committees
The Public Policy Committee was created in 2001 through the merger of the “Research”, “Competitiveness” and “Legislative” committees. The Public Policy Committee membership is appointed for one year per GEDA Bylaws by the President upon recommendation of the Chairman. In its research function, the Public Policy Committee provides GEDA with continuing targeted public policy research, survey data, and recommendations related to economic development public policy issues. This research function builds upon GEDA's Public Policy Initiative. It has included a facilitated process to identify practitioners' views on policy priorities, a GEDA-university system report on economic & social indicators of Georgia's progress, public opinion polls, and electronic surveys of GEDA member opinions on a variety of topics. The Public Policy Committee also works to develop public policy recommendations related to incentives, taxes and other factors affecting Georgia's competitiveness in economic development. The committee works to provide related information and educational opportunities for members.
Each year, the Public Policy Committee develops recommendations for GEDA's legislative policy agenda, including selected priority issues to be addressed during the next session of the Georgia General Assembly. The Public Policy Committee also reviews legislative proposals and other policy ideas emerging from other GEDA committees. The Committee helps to link GEDA members with legislators, and collaborates with the Legislative Event Committee to support the Annual GEDA Legislative Event in January. This event provides an important networking opportunity among GEDA members, state legislators and other state leaders. During the course of each legislative session and during the balance of the year, the Public Policy Committee assists in the review of pending legislative & regulatory issues/proposals and makes recommendations to the GEDA Board. Regular information updates on Georgia legislation affecting economic development are posted during the session at www.geda.org.
Lastly, the Public Policy Committee periodically updates the GEDA "incentives manual". This manual includes information on corporate taxes, tax incentives, enterprise & empowerment zones, foreign trade zones, adult education & training, environmental permitting, financing programs and a comparison of incentives among Southeastern states. The manual is available to GEDA members as a web document at www.geda.org.
For more information, contact Committee Chair Elmer Stancil.
2013 Action Plan
- Inform leadership of GEDA Policy Agenda
- Identify Key Legislators located in GEDA Public Policy Committee members area
- Work with other committees
Legislative Policy Agenda
2012 Policy Recommendations:
- Increased funding mechanisms for economic development projects (including a deepening of the Savannah Harbor).
- Continued funding support for REBA, OneGeorgia, Quickstart, and ICAPP, as well as fully funding state programs and departments vital to economic development.
- Maintaining competitive statutory and discretionary incentives, such as tax credits and sales & use tax exemptions.
- Ensure Georgia has a competitive set of tourism development incentives
Click here to see related Documents (Members Only)