Executive Director - Development Authority of the City of Milledgeville and Baldwin County
Date position to be filled: October 12, 2020
The Development Authority of the City of Milledgeville and Baldwin County is accepting applications for the position of Executive Director. A cover letter, resume, and minimum of three references are due no later than Monday, October 12th. Please send application information and any questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Overview: The Development Authority of the City of Milledgeville and Baldwin County is a state chartered, not-for-profit entity whose focus is on enhancing the work of the companies already located in Baldwin County as well as recruiting new, dynamic enterprises to the community. The Authority exists to develop and promote, for the public good and general welfare, trade, commerce, industry, and employment opportunities in Baldwin County, Georgia. The Executive Director is responsible for attracting new businesses and encouraging retention and expansion of existing businesses to promote a stronger and more diverse economic base for Baldwin County. The individual will be the chief marketer and salesperson for economic development in Baldwin County. Specifically, these activities include marketing industrial property for prospective development, prospect and industry recruiting, building relationships with industry contacts, and negotiating with industry representatives to encourage location and job creation in Baldwin County. This position is expected to perform at a high level with a proven track record for locating industries.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan short term and long term strategies to attract new businesses and encourage the retention and expansion of existing businesses to promote a stronger economic base in Baldwin County.
- Identify and recruit prospects within target industries established by the DAMBC.
- Market properties to industrial prospects, site consultants, and the real estate brokerage community.
- Develop and maintain good relationships with economic development partners and prospecting agencies such as the Georgia Department of Economic Development, utility organizations, and others.
- Provide economic, demographic and job market information to all prospects.
- Conduct effective prospect visits and negotiate incentive agreements and contracts with prospects within guidelines set by the DAMBC.
- Retain and support existing industry by providing assistance to ensure continued success and opportunity for expansion.
- Coordinate and manage the maintenance and upkeep of all real property owned or managed by the DAMBC, including enforcement of any and all industrial park covenants.
- Represent the DAMBC in a professional manner and maintain strict confidentiality of information and operations at all times.
- Work closely and constructively with other local economic development groups including the Central State Hospital Local Redevelopment Authority, the Milledgeville Main Street Downtown Development Authority, and the Milledgeville-Baldwin County Chamber of Commerce to promote the economic growth of Milledgeville and Baldwin County.
- Work closely and cooperatively with local municipalities on their economic development plans and programs.
- Represent DAMBC on community boards to enhance visibility and further economic development goals.
- Make presentations to community groups and public agencies and represent DAMBC regarding local, state, and national issues.
- Coordinate activities with local agencies addressing workforce and training issues.
- Supervise, direct, and evaluate department staff; develop internal policies and procedures; evaluate program effectiveness.
- Perform administrative duties related to the Fall Line Regional Development Authority. This is a joint development authority between Baldwin and Wilkinson Counties.
- Possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university is preferred, with additional credit for an advanced degree.
- Three (3) years of economic development experience, or any equivalent combination of training and experience which demonstrate the requisite skills and ability.
- Certified Economic Developer (CEcD) status is preferred.
- Knowledge of finance, real estate, marketing, communications, statistics, workforce issues, and common policies, practices and procedures of the department and office operations.
- Ability to interact appropriately and effectively with the public, to perform multiple tasks simultaneously, and to maintain confidential information.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills. Proficient computer, mathematical, and record keeping skills. Strong interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Applicant must reside in Baldwin County or, if hired, relocate to Baldwin County within six (6) months of hire date.
The starting salary and benefits for this position will be competitive depending on the candidate’s experience and qualifications.