Development Authority Executives Committee
At a glance:
- Provides networking & professional development help for those who have responsibility for local development authorities.
- Provides on authority member and attorney training needs.
- Coordinates the development and implementation of the GEDA-UGA partnership.
- Provide credit seminars for attorneys representing local development authorities.
- Develop resource manual for development authority execs.
Established in 1997, the focus of the Development Authority Executives Committee is providing special networking and professional development needs for those who have responsibility for local development authorities. In addition, this committee focuses on authority member and attorney training needs. All GEDA members who are Development Authority Executives, or who otherwise provide professional staffing for development authorities, are encouraged to participate actively in this committee. Based on the input of these professional practitioners, the Development Authority Execs committee is coordinating the development and implementation of a GEDA-UGA partnership. This partnership will provide specific training for local development authority board members at various locations several times each year. This committee also works with the Institute for Continuing Legal Education (ICLE) to provide credit seminars specifically for attorneys representing local development authorities.
In 2001, GEDA accepted an invitation by UGA's Office of Economic Development Assistance to become a co-sponsor of a new program called the "Development Authority Executives Leadership & Management Institute". GEDA has also recently partnered with the Georgia Cities Foundation, UGA and ICLE to sponsor a downtown development law seminar. This committee has also sponsored workshops at the GEDA Spring Workshop and the GEDA Annual Conference, and is developing a resource manual for development authority execs.
For more information, contact Committee Chair:
|Robbie Bennett||Development Authority of Columbia Countyfirstname.lastname@example.org||(706)312-1371|
2021 Action Plan
- Continue initiatives from 2019 Action Plan.
- Create an executive task force to discuss upcoming legislative issues to be up and running by the beginning of the General Assembly to give feedback to GEDA staff.
- Identify all the Development Authority Executives in the state.
- Develop and implement a Virtual Best Practices Panel Series (in person if the opportunity arises) to spotlight Development Authority Executives, their communities, and how they handle key topics/challenges/successes. Given the diverse nature of Georgia, the committee anticipates at least two or three events so that we can focus on rural communities, mid-size communities, and larger/metro communities.
- To build off the Best Practice Panels – the Committee would like to create a closed group for Development Authority Executives to engage in direct conversation and improve the sharing of information. A forum where Executives can ask questions of the membership to learn and collaborate without judgement.
- Recorded panels could go into the ED 101 library discussed at the retreat.