Job Summary: Under general direction, plans, organizes and supervises the construction plan submittal, approval, and permit issuance process; provides case management of building construction and development projects. This position will work with the Community Affairs Department to provide comprehensive planning oversight within the City, along with performance of various administrative tasks, simple site plan review and coordination between City departments on Community and Economic Development projects while maintaining efficient and effective service delivery to customers.
Essential Functions/Major Responsibilities: The following duties and responsibilities are intended to be representative of the work performed by the incumbent(s) in this position and are not all-inclusive. The omission of specific duties and responsibilities will not preclude it from the position.
• Maintain a positive and cooperative working relationship with homeowners, property owners, business owners, contractors, architects, engineers and other while enforcing various codes and regulations with areas of responsibility.
• Maintain and oversee the building constriction application approval process, issuance of permits, plan submittals, plan processing, and fee assessment and payment processing.
• Advises General Contractors and the public on construction permits.
• Schedule building inspections, follow-up on business license applications.
• Accurately analyze complex issues in high pressure situations, make effective decisions and adopt effective courses of action.
• Demonstrate positive and effective interaction and communication with individuals of diverse occupational and social-economic-ethnic backgrounds.
• Meet schedules and timelines.
• Maintain records and prepare reports.
• Prepare and present clear and concise plans, reports, and recommendations.
• Work effectively on several projects concurrently.
• Respond to inquiries, complaints, and requests for information in a professional manner.
• Communicates review comments for land development and building applications.
• Review developmental procedures, as well as ensure permits are issued for continuing compliance with applicable conditions.
• Ensure compliance with and provide interpretations and exceptions for building code issues per City ordinances, policies, procedures, and accepted practices; and issue permits, certificates of occupancy, etc. as authorized by codes and regulations.
• Plan, organize, manage, and perform the activities and functions of permitting, including customer service, routing of permit applications, workflow, and interdepartmental coordination with other departments' staff as necessary to ensure a predictable, efficient, and accurate review and issuance of permits and approvals in accordance with established policies and procedures.
• Serve as technical expert and adviser regarding building codes and permitting activities and processes.
• Maintain current knowledge, trends, developments, and best practices in delivery of building services; assess the effectiveness operations; research, develop and implement new policies, procedures, processes, forms, etc. to respond to changing conditions or to increase efficiency, predictability, and customer satisfaction.
• Maintain current knowledge of legal standards pertaining to building and permitting services; prepare revisions to related codes, ordinances, regulations, and standards as appropriate.
• Manages administrative duties associated with new development, scheduling meetings, sending review comments, facilitating signoffs, and releasing permits.
• Interprets, explains, and enforces City policies and procedures, building/land development codes, specifications, ordinances, etc. Works in conjunction with other City departments to ensure cohesive application of city policies and ordinances.
• Attend and assist with extended work hours for meetings, seminars and/or workshops related to department duties and responsibilities. • Assists team members within the division and department, as needed.
Minimum Qualifications: Education/Training: High School Diploma required, Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree preferred from an accredited College or University with major course work in Civil Engineering, Code Compliance, Planning, Architecture, Construction Management or a related filed. Specific License or Certification Required: Possession of, or ability to obtain within one year from date of hire, an International Code Council (ICC) Building Permit Technician Certificate. Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license with a good driving record. Experience: Any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the applicant with the knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform the job.
• Three years progressively responsible experience in building, land use planning, zoning, and permitting.
• Working knowledge of at least one of the following:
❖ Local planning, zoning, and development codes and municipal government procedures.
❖ Codes, regulations, and laws relating to building standards, construction, and life safety provisions (i.e., plumbing, fire, mechanical, and energy).
ADA Compliance: Physical Ability: Tasks require the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (5-10 pounds). Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or workstation. Sensory Requirements: Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate colors or shades of colors, sounds, and visual cues or signals. Some tasks require the ability to communicate orally. Environmental Factors: Essential functions are regularly performed without exposure to adverse environmental conditions. Office and public counter setting; exposure to computer screens. Outside environment, despite weather conditions, and exposure to environmental allergens (grasses, weeds, pollens, trees) due to little flexibility for scheduling. The City of Austell, Georgia is an equal opportunity employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the City will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
DISCLAIMER: This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Management has the exclusive right to alter the specification at any time without notice.
How to apply: ❖ Please complete an application in its entirety and return it to Human Resources. 5000 Austell Powder-Springs Rd. Suite 220 Austell, GA 30106 (770) 944-4303