Director of Economic Development and Community Engagement - University of North Georgia
Job Close Date:
The University of North Georgia is currently accepting applications for a Director of Economic Development and Community Engagement. UNG’s mission in economic development is to collaborate in creating a vibrant and sustainable economy that improves quality of life and benefits northeast Georgia, the region and beyond. We do this by creating an educated workforce and mobilizing resources to advance innovation, help employers grow and prosper, and strengthen communities and regional economies. The Director of Economic Development and Community Engagement, under the supervision of the Chief of Staff, leads and coordinates the university's economic development activities through proactive engagement with regional business, communities and economic development organizations. The director will help foster key relationships with internal and external resources to enhance the University’s economic development and community engagement initiatives. The director will provide leadership to UNG’s Regional Education and Economic Development (REED) initiative and will serve as an institutional liaison to connect the talent, research and creative initiatives, and educational resources of the university with institutional partners. Start The director may serve as a UNG representative on community committees, advocacy boards and organizations. The director must be able to work collaboratively with faculty and staff across UNG the ability to work independently to achieve identified, assigned objectives, manage multiple projects and maintain a high degree of professionalism and confidentiality.
Located in the fastest-growing region of the state, the University of North Georgia is a multi-campus university with an enrollment of over 18,000 students, making it one of the largest institutions in the University System of Georgia. UNG is focused on a mission of educational excellence, leadership development and community engagement opportunities that develop students into leaders for a diverse and global society. Through a variety of educational pathways that provide access and range from certificates and associate degrees to a professional doctoral program, UNG is responsive to regional education and economic development needs. Federally designated as a senior military college, one of the university's signature leadership programs is its 800-member Corps of Cadets on UNG's Dahlonega Campus.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
The Director will:
- Create and implement strategies for economic development to include cultivation of strategic partnerships and relationships within the university’s service area with community organizations, interest groups, municipal and government entities, business partners and individuals capable and willing to advocate for the University.
- Develop and maximize existing and new relationships with community stakeholders to support the mission of the University of North Georgia and the University System of Georgia. Attends city and county government meetings as well as participates in professional organizations, Chambers of Commerce and civic groups to ensure the success of the economic development initiatives.
- Coordinate activities related to Economic Development and Community Engagement within the broader context of fulfilling UNG’s role as a Carnegie Engaged institution.
- Coordinate Economic Development and Community Engagement events to ensure that all such events are properly planned and executed to meet/exceed expectations.
- Coordinate and conducting outreach presentations to internal and external stakeholders.
- Will attend various UNG, community and outreach activities that benefit the University.
- Participate in regular staff meetings and cross-campus initiatives as needed.
- Multi-task and oversee diverse projects simultaneously
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Demonstrate ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines and take direction
- Candidates must also demonstrate excellent collaboration skills to work in partnership with internal and external constituents
- Excellent oral, written communication
- Supports and promotes a team-oriented philosophy; displays a positive image of the University of North Georgia.
Certifications/Licenses & Minimum Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s preferred
- Minimum of three to five (3-5) years of related work experience in economic development, legislative and community engagement or an equivalent combination of education and professional work experience
- Demonstrated experience in building new relationships while maintaining existing partnerships
- Clear understanding of the academic environment to include the position of shared governance relative to the university’s involvement with community engagement
- Candidates must have the ability to engage community members individually and in group settings, work independently.
- Be willing to work a varied schedule
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office products
- Position requires travel and commitment to work evenings and weekends.
- Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds and climb stairs.
Cover Letter, Resume/Curriculum Vitae, Unofficial Transcripts
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please submit contact information for three professional references.
In addition to a background check, this position will also require a DMV check.
All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation, as determined by the University of North Georgia in its sole discretion. The University of North Georgia, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sex or national origin, age, disability, religion, genetics or veteran status. Georgia is an open records state. Also, UNG is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans. We provide equal employment opportunities to minorities, females, protected veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.
To apply click HERE.