Economic Development Director - Burke County Board of Commissioners
This position will be posted until June 23, 2023.
Organization: Burke County Board of Commissioners
Location: Waynesboro, Georgia
Category: Development Authority, Local Government
Position Type: Full Time
Education Requirement: Bachelor's Degree
Experience Requirement: 1-2 years
Salary: $75,000 - $114,000
How to Apply/Contact: Merv Waldrop, PO Box 89, Waynesboro, GA or firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Description & Details:
ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR
Burke County, Georgia is seeking an Economic Development Director to serve the Development Authority of Burke County in its efforts to market the County, attract new business investment, encourage the expansion of existing industry, locate new markets for Burke County products, attract tourists to Burke County, promote the county as a location for arts, film, music, and digital entertainment projects, as well as plan and mobilize county resources for economic development.
The Development Director is responsible for business development efforts in the county. The successful candidate’s primary duty is to assist both existing Burke County companies considering expansion and prospective companies considering a future location into the county and to positively influence investment decisions in Burke County. Working in close partnership with state, local and other officials, the primary goal is the advancement of job creation and investment in Burke County. The successful candidate will spend most days meeting with business and community leaders as well as building important working relationships with stakeholders throughout the region. Specific duties include:
• learning the state’s incentive program, pro-business climate, community partnerships, and workforce
• representing Burke County as the lead point of contact for companies considering expansion or new locations in the county.
• calling on community leaders to build value-added relationships.
• attending trade shows, conferences, and networking events to generate leads by developing strategic relationships with community, state, and consultant partners.
• forming and maintaining relationships with executive-level decision makers of existing and prospective companies.
• serving as the county’s first point of contact for communities, regarding economic development efforts.
• Deep understanding of OGCA governance of Development Authorities, public benefits & incentives, Open meetings, Open records, and code of ethics.
• Well versed in Development Authorities financing options Minimum Qualifications and Competencies
• Bachelor’s degree in Economic Development, Marketing, Economics, Real Estate, or similar field AND two (2) years of professional experience in related field
• Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills; able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people and organizations.
• High proficiency with MS Office software (Word, Excel).
• High level of ethical standards, discipline to self-start and work independently and remotely.
• Must reside within the county (preferable), or be willing to relocate to the county (at personal expense)
• Must have a valid driver’s license, be willing to travel within the state and out of the state as needed.
• The ideal candidate must be a self-starter, able to thrive in a fast-paced environment, and be highly organized. He or she must also use good judgment; can understand the big picture and the logical order of projects; must be able to manage multiple tasks and priorities simultaneously; must be able to adapt to change quickly.
• Four or more years of economic development experience within the state
• Past sales experience
• Experience with county government and development authority structure; individual and development authority goals, team building and leadership skills.
• Persuasive and informative public speaking skills
• Proven record of success leading projects involving multiple stakeholders Salary & Benefits $75,000-$114,000, vehicle, health insurance, dental insurance, life insurance and a defined benefit retirement plan
Send Resumes to: Merv Waldrop County Manager PO Box 89 Waynesboro, GA 30830 email@example.com
Closing date for the position is June 23, 2023.