Economic Development Manager - Douglasville
Position: Economic Development Manager
Organization: City of Douglasville
Location: Douglasville, GA
Position Type: Full time
Education Requirement: Bachelors Degree
Experiance: 5-10 Yrs
- Conducts Geographic Information Systems (GIS) analysis; creates GIS mapping documents for clients, consultants, City staff, and developers; creates mapped data for use with business relocation decisions, staff analysis, and land use decisions; maps data for marketing purposes, sales tax analysis, and other various analyzes;
- Assists in the preparation of economic reports for various groups, committees, commissions, and boards;
- Prepares meeting agendas, meeting minutes, summaries, and information packets as needed;
- Assists with community development projects throughout the city;
- Manages and coordinates certain community and economic development projects that incorporate tools to encourage revitalization and public improvement.
- Advises and coordinates the meetings and activities of the Downtown Development Authority, Urban Redevelopment Agency, and Public Arts Commission
- Coordinates business initiatives with new and current businesses within the city limits;
- Exercises independent discretion and judgment in managing property leases for City- owned property in the downtown area;
- Build and maintain relationships with existing local businesses, the community, prospects, consultants, company decision makers, regional partners, brokers, property owners, and other key stakeholders.
- Provide support for other initiatives and activities as assigned in accordance with the Downtown Master Plan, Northside Redevelopment Plan
- Assists and helps coordinate major development projects through the city; and
- Performs other related duties as required.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Requires a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in planning, public administration, business administration, economics, or closely related field; five (5) years of professional experience related to economic development or working with small businesses.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of methods and techniques of research, statistical analysis, and report preparation.
- Knowledge of basic economic development concepts and strategies.
- Knowledge of basic economic incentive and financing methods.
- Knowledge of basic project management principles and practices.
- Knowledge of business, market, and economic indicators, and trends.
- Knowledge of general planning, zoning, project processing, and permitting processes.
- Knowledge of city organization and functions of the various departments in the City.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of record keeping and records management.
- Knowledge of pertinent federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations.
- Skilled in English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Knowledge of modern office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers and supporting software applications.
- Knowledge of operating characteristics of Geographic Information Systems.
- Knowledge of general marketing concepts and principles.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of customer service.
- Ability to conduct research and prepare complete and accurate analysis, reports, and recommendations.
- Ability to assist with promoting and implementing the City’s economic development programs and projects.
- Ability to develop, and maintain effective interdepartmental coordination.
- Ability to represent the City in a professional manner when working with boards, community groups, and the general public.
- Ability to facilitate permit processes.
- Ability to understand the organization, operation and services of the City and of outside agencies as necessary to assume assigned responsibilities.
- Ability to interpret and apply federal, state, and local policies, laws, and regulations.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and common sense.
- Skilled in the operation office equipment including computers and supporting word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications.
- Skilled in the utilization computer applications to perform analysis and prepare reports, charts, graphs, and related materials.
- Ability to demonstrate an awareness and appreciation of the cultural diversity of the community.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
The work is light work and requires balancing, crawling, crouching, feeling, fingering, grasping, handling, hearing, kneeling, lifting, mental acuity, pulling, pushing, reaching, repetitive motion, speaking, standing, stooping, talking, visual acuity, and walking.
The incumbent works in a dynamic environment that requires sensitivity to change and responsiveness to changing goals, priorities, and needs.