Executive Director - One Sumter Economic Development Foundation
Date Needed: 5/1/2019
Location: Americus, Georgia
Position Type: Full time
Education Requirement: Bachelor's Degree
Experience Requirement: 3-5 years
How to Apply/Contact: Mary Beth Bass, firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Description & Details:
The One Sumter Economic Development Foundation was launched in 2014 as an ambitious capital campaign to support the work of the community’s existing economic development efforts. Birthed as a partnership between the Sumter County Development Authority and the Sumter County Chamber of Commerce with a goal of raising $2 Million from local business and industry partners, One Sumter exceeded those expectations in pledged donations within the first 12 months. A dynamic example of both the public and private sectors coming together to support goals of mutual benefit, One Sumter boasts over 100 investors in its original grass-roots effort. Founded to focus in four key priority areas: 1) Economic Development, 2) Workforce Development, 3) Marketing & Communications, and 4) Transportation; One Sumter has been dedicated to serving as a catalyst for change and growth across Sumter County within its mandated Business Action Plan from the community over the last five years.
The Foundation seeks an experienced Executive Director to lead the strategic direction and vision for One Sumter, its donors and community partners. The ideal candidate must be flexible and have the ability to accommodate multiple tasks. Excellent writing and communications skills are essential. Candidate will be required to work some evenings and weekends.
The Executive Director should be self-motivated and directed, while being able to respond to the needs of both the Board of Directors and diverse community partners. The ideal candidate should have extensive experience in community and economic development, planning initiatives, fundraising, donor and media relations, community outreach, and maintaining a budget and financing.
The Executive Director maintains positive and progressive working relationships with corporate and public leaders and entities in Sumter County who serve as conduits for implementation and community growth in the success of the One Sumter Business Action Plan. The Executive Director position will remain available for the five years of the initiative, so long as there is sufficient funding provided through joint efforts of the Foundation and its donors.
The Executive Director serves at the pleasure of the Foundation Board of Directors. The Foundation Directors work in partnership with the Board of Directors of the Sumter County Chamber of Commerce and Sumter County Development Authority to implement a county-wide economic development vision and strategy.
Essential Duties: Essential duties of the Executive Director include, but are not limited to, the following actions:
• One Sumter Foundation o Implement identified portions of the One Sumter Business Action Plan per the oversight and guidance of the Foundation Board of Directors and in accordance with available funding streams.
Areas of focus include: Community & Economic Development, Downtown Development & Revitalization, Business Retention and Expansion, Community Engagement & Network Development, Leadership Development, Strategic Planning, Education, Workforce Development & Talent Attraction/Retention, Community Beautification & Wayfinding Development, and Marketing & Communications.
o Establish work groups with content expertise according to the interrelated components of the Business Action Plan, with the purpose of community support and guidance to determine best methods for action.
o Host annual and quarterly events and Foundation board meetings according to the goals of the Business Action Plan.
o Provide support and assistance to all community partners and public entities to further the goals of One Sumter, as desired or needed.
o Promote One Sumter, the community, its projects and priorities both regionally and statewide, in terms of advocacy and enhancing regional sustainability. o Work with state agencies and legislative delegation, as needed, to ensure One Sumter’s success.
• Foundation Board of Directors o Coordinate meeting logistics, facilitate note taking, minutes, strategic planning and project development of the Foundation.
• Capital Funding, Budgeting and Financial Services o Provide support services and assistance to the Board of Directors as related to financial management.
• Maintain capital funding aspects as needed related to pledged funding.
• Pursue grant opportunities as available to support the work of the Foundation, particularly those which are pledged donors of the Foundation.
• Develop and maintain an annual working budget for Foundation operations.
• Provide day-to-day bookkeeping responsibilities and billing of donors on behalf of the Foundation, with support from Foundation’s CPA.
• Maintain Accounts Payable and Receivable for the Foundation, with support from the Foundation’s CPA.
• Develop and maintain an annual budget for Business Action Plan goals, according to available funding streams.
• Assist Foundation Board of Directors and volunteers in the pursuit of capital donations.
• Oversee financial audit and accountability process on three-year basis.
• Public Relations, Advertisement and Marketing o Manage and oversee duties and responsibilities of the Director of Communications & Outreach to fulfill organizational goals and objectives.
o Communicate goals and accomplishments of One Sumter to donors, corporate and public leaders, and the community at large.
o Development and implement marketing items as appropriate through all available media venues including but not limited to print, social, radio and television. Desired Skills and Expertise
• Experience organizing and managing small to large scale projects and events
• Proven experience working in a multi-tasking environment
• Proven time management skills and ability to work under pressure
• Ability to work independently, with little supervision and as part of a team
• Great communication skills
• Staff/ volunteer management experience
• Fundraising and sponsorship experience
• Facilitation, strategic planning and implementation experience Specifications
• Bachelor’s degree in public or business administration, non-profit management, communications, public relations, special event management, or a related field; Master’s Degree or related experience preferred
• At least 3-5 years of experience in public administration, community and economic development, non-profit management, fundraising, donor or member relations, communications, public relations, and special event management
• Experience directly interacting with internal and external partners and stakeholders while maintaining a positive attitude
• Self-motivation and accountability for every aspect of project management to exceed Board of Directors and donor expectations is essential
• Expert knowledge of all types of media
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Strong attention to detail
• Positive attitude focusing on team work
• Must have excellent customer relations’ skills
• Strong organization and time management skills
• Must conduct yourself in a professional manner
Compensation: The compensation package will be competitive based on the qualifications and experience of the candidate. The package will include opportunities for health, vision, dental and life insurance, vacation and sick leave, and the opportunity to participate in an IRA.
Submitting an Application: For additional information regarding the One Sumter Economic Development Foundation, Inc., visit www.onesumter.org. To apply for the position, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com, or via postal mail to Post Office Box 6714, Americus, GA 31709. Applications will be accepted through Friday, March 22, 2019, or until position is filled.