Georgia Visitor Information Center Manager, St. Marys
Title: Georgia Visitor Information Center Manager
Organization: Georgia Department of Economic Development
Location: St. Marys, GA
Position Type: Full time
Education Requirement: Bachelor's Degree
Experiance: 3 Years
Salary: $42k - $46k commensurate with experiance
The Georgia Department of Economic Development (GDEcD) is the state’s sales and marketing arm, the lead agency for attracting new business investment, encouraging the expansion of existing industry and small businesses, addressing macro-level workforce issues, locating new markets for Georgia products, attracting tourists to Georgia, and promoting the state as a destination for arts events and location for film, music and digital entertainment projects, as well as planning and mobilizing state resources for economic development.
Explore Georgia, GDEcD’s Tourism Division, works to promote the state, and its communities and attractions, to help visitors discover all of Georgia’s unique vacation opportunities. Georgia’s state-run Visitor Information Centers (VICs) are the first points of contact with more than 13 million visitors each year.
The Visitor Information Center Manager will report to the Division Director of Tourism and will be responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of the St. Mary's Visitor Information Center (located on I-95 North), including full-time and part-time staff, and overseeing center activities.
- Primary responsibilities will include, but are not limited to; customer service, team training and leadership, sales and advertising, assisting with content for the website/social media,/publications, partner development and management, as well as displays and overall look and feel of Center.
- The manager will assist with the development and implementation of special projects and promotions, and ensure that Center goals are met.
- The manager also performs administrative duties including budget management, traffic reporting, hiring, scheduling, employee relations, performance management, and discipline.
- The manager will identify staff development needs and ensures that staff members receive the necessary training.
- The manager also attends meetings and gives presentations on behalf of the GDEcD.
- Willingness to be flexible and able to work holidays, and weekends, and to be on call for staffing and/or building emergencies.
- Ability to collaborate with the other state-run Visitor Information Center Managers on numerous group assignments and projects, as well as partner with local visitor centers.
- Work closely with other state and local agencies such as the Georgia Department of Transportation
- The ability to move boxes weighing up to 25 pounds and stand for potentially long periods of time while assisting and greeting visitors is required.
- Two years of experience as a manager in a customer-focused organization; OR Five years of lead/supervisory worker experience in a customer-focused organization; OR Bachelor’s degree AND three years of lead/supervisory experience in a hospitality, tourism, or customer-focused organization.
- Basic knowledge of the State of Georgia, including major attractions, destinations, history, and natural resources.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Strong oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong team building skills Strong leadership skills and ability to use judgement to make sound split second decisions
- Capable of learning, following, and creating protocols for day-to-day operations
- Capacity to work both independently AND in a team-oriented environment.
- Bachelor’s degree and three (3) years of supervisory experience in hospitality, tourism, or other area with a strong customer service focus which included responsibility for administrative functions.
- Expereince learning, following, and creating protocols for day-to-day operations
- Georgia tourism industry experience with extensive knowledge of the State, including major attractions, destinations, history, and natural resources.
- Knowledge of State of Georgia operating policies and procedures.
- Experience giving formal presentations.
- Experience working on collaborative projects. Demonstrated creative thinking and problem solving skills.
Travel Required?: Some (meetings, familiarization tours).
Nights, Weekends Required? Weekends required (rotating).
Application Instructions: To apply for this position, you must submit your resumé and cover letter (PDF format preferred) via the link on our careers page HERE. If you do not have internet access or require an accommodation because of a disability, please contact GDEcD Human Resources at 404-962-4000 or email email@example.com.