President & Chief Executive Officer
This position will be posted until June 30, 2023
Location: Fayetteville, Georgia
Category: Chamber of Commerce
Position Type: Full Time
Education Requirement: Bachelor's Degree
Experience Requirement: 5-10 years
Job Description & Details
The Fayette Chamber is a vibrant network of businesses and organizations working together to promote economic prosperity and strengthen our community. We represent approximately 800 member organizations in all parts of Fayette County and the local area. The Chamber promotes strong leadership, networking, education and programs that encourage partnerships between businesses and the community.
Chamber staff and volunteers work in close relationship with the Fayette County government, the corporate community and related partner organizations. The President/CEO will demonstrate the ability to engage people to work collaboratively, provide direction and resources to staff and volunteers, forge effective relationships, understand and maintain positive relationships with public officials, pursue new ideas and challenge traditional thinking and assist the Board of Directors with meeting strategic plans and financial goals.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the CEO has at present 4 direct reports, (Communications Manager, Events Manager, Office Manager, and Business Development Manager). Principal initial accountabilities are to serve as a proactive and visionary leader to:
- Continue to implement the Chamber’s strategic plan, and regularly update the plan using that effort to more broadly involve all Chamber members and secure their buy-in to a redefinition of the Chamber’s vision and mission and major area of thrust.
- Support operations and administration of Board by advising and informing Board members, interfacing between Board and staff, and supporting Board’s evaluation of chief executive.
- Oversee the design, marketing, promotion delivery and quality of programs, products and services.
- Recommend yearly budget for Board approval and prudently manage organization’s resources within those budget guidelines according to current laws and regulations.
- Effectively manage the human resources of the organization according to authorized personnel policies and procedures that fully conform to current laws and regulations.
- Assure the organization and its mission, programs, products and services are consistently presented in strong, positive image to relevant stakeholders.
- Oversee fundraising planning and implementation, including identifying resource requirements, researching funding sources, establishing strategies to approach funders, submitting proposals and administering fundraising records and documentation.
- Keep the Chamber on sound financial ground through improved service to members, demonstrating value, and promotion of existing and new programs, with the result that members consistently renew their memberships and attract new members.
- Personally participate in a limited number of other community service organizations to give the Chamber maximum visibility and credibility.
- Personally be highly visible as a speaker to community organizations.
Education and Experience
A bachelor’s degree is required; an advanced degree in business administration, public administration or related field is preferred. The selected candidate will have been employed in a senior executive position, preferably as an executive of a comparable membership/nonprofit organization or management/executive experiences with a Chamber of Commerce or Economic Development Organization. Certified Chamber of Commerce Executive (CCE), Certified Association Executive (CAE), US Chamber Institute of Organization Management (IOM), and /or Certified Economic Developer (CEcD) status is a plus. A minimum of seven years of relevant experience is desired. Experience serving a segment of a major metropolitan area is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proven experience in leadership, management and staff development and additional experience with related personnel issues, HR policies, and applicable labor law needed.
- The person will be action-oriented versus reactive, have excellent team building skills, have a consensus building style, be oriented to organizational cohesiveness, and will be an effective negotiator and compromiser who is known as one who reasons with others.
- A strong and decisive person, the CEO will be a risk taker, assertive, courageous, determined, and persistent while tactful and not argumentative.
- Politically sensitive and savvy while not a politician, will be diplomatic to balance interest, and will be both open and open minded.
- Prefer experience in all facets of chamber of commerce management.
- Experience in working with volunteer boards of directors, leadership training for volunteers, and providing a basis for cooperation and goodwill within the organization
- Planning and organizational skills
- Strong command of written and verbal communication skills
- Self-starter with a high energy level proven leadership skill
- Creative thinker
- Good working knowledge of computers. Business and accounting software.
- Residence in Fayette County is desired within 6 months of hire.