Professional Development Committee
At a glance:
- Promote and support the practice of professional development – that is, the advancement of skills, expertise, and knowledge to succeed in the economic development profession.
- Facilitate support for GEDA members preparing for professional certification.
- Promote and administer the GEDA professional development grant program.
A key part of GEDA’s mission is to support the continual professional development of our members. One of the key ways we do this is through our professional development grant program which involves an annual competitive application process coordinated by this committee. GEDA’s professional development grant program is the largest of its kind among state associations.
Are you working to gain the skills and knowledge to be among the best in the economic development profession in serving those you serve? Apply for a grant from GEDA to help you move forward in your professional development journey and meet your goals!
This committee also connects GEDA members with opportunities to help them prepare for professional certifications such as the Certified Economic Developer (CEcD) designation by the International Economic Development Council (IEDC).
For more information, contact Committee Chair, Maceo Rogers.
2019 Action Plan
- Move grants and scholarships from a committee to a staff function
- Promote and support certifications
- Hold a Workshop session – what is available for certification? What is useful in our profession?
- Identify who is going through the IEDC Certified Economic Developer (CEcD) program and connect existing CEcDs with those who are going through for coaching
- Feed best practices to Georgia Certified Economic Developer (GCED) program. As GEDA uncovers best practices in committees, feed those practices into the GCED program to become case studies/panelists for the curriculum.
- Evaluate if this committee should be a SIG or a Committee