Public Policy Committee
At a glance:
- Provides targeted research, survey data and recommendations for economic development public policy issues.
- Develops recommendations related to incentives, taxes and other factors affecting economic development.
- Provides public policy information and educational opportunities for members.
- Advices the GEDA Board on public policy matters.
- Periodically updates GEDA “incentives manual”.
- Develops recommendations for GEDA's legislative policy agenda.
- Reviews legislative proposals and other policy ideas emerging from other GEDA committees
The Public Policy Committee was created in 2001 through the merger of the “Research”, “Competitiveness” and “Legislative” committees. The Public Policy Committee membership is appointed for one year per GEDA Bylaws by the President upon recommendation of the Chairman. In its research function, the Public Policy Committee provides GEDA with continuing targeted public policy research, survey data, and recommendations related to economic development public policy issues. This research function builds upon GEDA's Public Policy Initiative. It has included a facilitated process to identify practitioners' views on policy priorities, a GEDA-university system report on economic & social indicators of Georgia's progress, public opinion polls, and electronic surveys of GEDA member opinions on a variety of topics. The Public Policy Committee also works to develop public policy recommendations related to incentives, taxes and other factors affecting Georgia's competitiveness in economic development. The committee works to provide related information and educational opportunities for members.
Each year, the Public Policy Committee develops recommendations for GEDA's legislative policy agenda, including selected priority issues to be addressed during the next session of the Georgia General Assembly. The Public Policy Committee also reviews legislative proposals and other policy ideas emerging from other GEDA committees. The Committee helps to link GEDA members with legislators, and collaborates with the Legislative Event Committee to support the Annual GEDA Legislative Event in January. This event provides an important networking opportunity among GEDA members, state legislators and other state leaders. During the course of each legislative session and during the balance of the year, the Public Policy Committee assists in the review of pending legislative & regulatory issues/proposals and makes recommendations to the GEDA Board. Regular information updates on Georgia legislation affecting economic development are posted during the session at www.geda.org.
For more information, contact Committee Chair:
|Joshua Stephens||Georgia Department of Economic Development||404-962-4024|
2021 Action Plan
- Develop a bill tracking/policy feedback team for GEDA which will prioritize bills being tracked, make recommendation(s) to the Executive Committee, who will ultimately decide what, if any, position GEDA takes.
- Collaborate with the Development Authority Executives Committee (as needed) regarding legislation and potential calls to action.
- Poll membership (as needed): This team works with staff to draft polls on taking a position.
- Statewide representation reflective of GEDA membership – rural/urban/statewide/utility
- Build a matrix of GEDA membership and key legislative relationships.
- Host a panel of legislators at annual conference on what is coming next session or a session recap during Spring Workshop.